Welcome to Intergenerational Matinees at Taproot Theatre! Our intergenerational program enhances student education, providing theatre as a tool and springboard for learning, growth and communication. Additionally, these matinees are intended to bridge a gap between student and senior groups creating a learning environment where different ages can interact and discuss the play.
2017 Intergenerational Matinee Season
Room Service | Jewell Mainstage Theatre
By John Murray and Allen Boretz
Wed, Feb 15 @ 10:00am
Age Recommendation: 12+
Free Teacher Preview: Tue, Jan 31 @ 7:30pm
A classic comedy revived. Madcap mishaps and little lies take on lives of their own as a theatrical troupe chases their dream of Broadway. Or Off-Broadway. Make that Off-Off-Broadway. Follow these zany characters as they navigate hotel management, financial woes and producing an original play.
Suggested Subjects: Language Arts, Theatre/Drama
Busman’s Honeymoon | Jewell Mainstage Theatre
By Dorothy L. Sayers and M. St. Clare Byrne
Wed, May 31 @ 10:00am
Age Recommendation: 12+
Free Teacher Preview: Tue, May 16 @ 7:30pm
A Dorothy L. Sayers murder mystery. When a body is discovered in the basement of Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane’s country honeymoon hideaway – is it murder or an accident? While the supporting cast of characters complicate this confusing case, Peter and Harriet must decide if the pursuit of truth outweighs the pursuit of happiness.
Suggested Subjects: History, Language Arts, Literature, Theatre/Drama
$10 for students & chaperones (1 complimentary chaperone ticket is issued for every 12 students)
$20 for seniors
To reserve tickets contact Groups@taproottheatre.org or 206.781.9708.
What are the benefits of attending a matinee at Taproot Theatre?
- Tickets to a Jewell Mainstage production.
- Teachers are invited to attend FREE preview performances.
- FREE reproducible Play Guide that includes: articles relating to the show, an early look at the set and costumes, a list of related books/movies/tv shows recommended by the Seattle Public Library and questions for you and your students to answer after seeing the play.
- Participate in a lively, guided post-play discussion that includes the actors and director.
- A limited number of show posters are available for each show. Request one for you classroom.
- Want to know what happens behind the scenes? Request our Between the Lines newsletter for each show (excluding Christmas). It will include interviews with actors and designers and have other fun facts about the production.
- Seat reservation for Taproot Theatre’s CONVERSATIONS series of evening panel discussions (optional). For more information regarding CONVERSATIONS contact Sonja Lowe.
- For an additional fee Taproot Theatre is happy to arrange theatre tours, special talks with theatre designers, and/or classroom visits to enhance your humanities curriculum.
All performances begin at 10:00am and are either held in the Jewell Mainstage Theatre at 204 N 85th St, Seattle, WA 98103 or in the Isaac Studio Theatre at 212 N 85th St, Seattle, WA 98103.
Essential Academic Learning Requirements
Taproot’s Intergenerational Matinee Program partially fulfills the following EALRs:
- Arts: 1.1, 1.2, 1.4; 2.1, 2.3; 4.1, 4.2, 4.4
- Communication: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
- Social Studies: History: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3