Taproot Theatre Company’s student matinee program enhances student education, providing theatre as a tool and springboard for learning, growth and communication.
2015/2016 Student Matinee Season
Dracula World Premiere
by Nathan Jeffrey, Adapted from the book by Bram Stoker
Wednesday, October 14 @ 10am
Age Recommendation: 14+ for mature themes
Free Teacher Preview: Tuesday, September 22 @ 7:30pm
Dracula takes you on a chilling adventure to the Victorian era, where you’ll follow unlikely allies as they work to defeat an ancient villain. This adaptation of Bram Stoker’s novel juxtaposes sacrifice and evil while exploring classic literature. Dare to enter the crypt of Dracula?
This Christmas Contemporary New Play
by Anne Kennedy Brady
Wednesday, December 2 @ 10am
Age Recommendation: 10+
Free Teacher Preview: Thursday, November 19 @ 7:30pm
Leah has the perfect Christmas Eve planned. But her husband is preoccupied, an inept waitress could spoil everything and the evening rapidly spins out of control as univited guests show up. This Christmas explores cultural differences, valued traditions and whathappens when those traditions have to change.
Silent Sky Drama
by Lauren Gunderson
Wednesday, February 10 @ 10am
Age Recommendation: 12+
Free Teacher Preview: Tuesday, January 26 @ 7:30pm
At the dawn of modern astronomy, Henrietta Leavitt becomes a “computer” of the night sky. In a field dominated by men, Henrietta is determined to do what no one has done before: measure the distance to the stars. Based on a true story, Silent Sky follows an exceptional person as she navigates love, family and science.
Cotton Patch Gospel Musical
by Tom Key and Russel Treyz
Music and lyrics by Harry Chapin
Wednesday, April 6 @ 10am
Age Recommendation: 12+
Free Teacher Preview: Tuesday, March 23 @ 7:30pm
This revamped bluegrass musical based on the story of Jesus’ birth, returns to the Taproot stage for our 40th Season. Join us for the this soul-stirring retelling from the Book of Matthew.
The Realization of Emily Linder Comic-Drama
by Richard Strand
Wednesday, May 25 @ 10am
Age Recommendation: 14+ for some dark humor and mature themes
Free Teacher Preview: Tuesday, May 10 @ 7:30pm
Emily Linder knows she is going to die. As her two daughters rush to make their mother happy, an outside questions Emily’s intentions. This comic-drama examines identity, relationships, love and secrets in one eccentric family.
Intergenerational Matinee Tickets
Ticket price for intergenerational matinees is $10 for student and chaperones and $20 for seniors.
1 complimentary chaperone ticket is issued for every 12 students
To reserve tickets contact Groups@taproottheatre.org or 206.781.9708.
What are the benefits of attending a matinee at Taproot Theatre?
- Tickets to a Jewell Mainstage production.
- Teachers are invited to attend FREE preview performances.
- FREE reproducible Play Guide that includes: articles relating to the show, an early look at the set and costumes, a list of related books/movies/tv shows recommended by the Seattle Public Library and questions for you and your students to answer after seeing the play.
- Participate in a lively, guided post-play discussion that includes the actors and director.
- NEW! FREE reproducible Lesson Plans: Three days of lesson plans to prepare your students for seeing the play and learning how to engage with it. Also included are related teaching topics to connect the play with your current curriculum.
- NEW! A limited number of show posters are available for each show. Request one for you classroom.
- NEW! Want to know what happens behind the scenes? Request our Between the Lines newsletter for each show. It will include interviews with actors and designers and have other fun facts about the production.
- Seat reservation for Taproot Theatre’s CONVERSATIONS series of evening panel discussions (optional). For more information regarding CONVERSATIONS contact Sonja Lowe.
- For an additional fee Taproot Theatre is happy to arrange theatre tours, special talks with theatre designers, and/or classroom visits to enhance your humanities curriculum.
All student performances begin at 10:00 a.m. and are held at Taproot Theatre Company, 204 N. 85th Street, Seattle WA, 98103.
Special Opportunity for Teachers and Homeschool Parents
Taproot also offers free preview dates for teachers and/or homeschool parents who would like to attend a final dress rehearsal, see our theatre and experience a show. Signing up for a preview date does not obligate you to purchase any tickets. To RSVP for a teacher preview date please contact Isaiah Custer at 206.529.3666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Essential Academic Learning Requirements
Taproot’s Student Matinee Program partially fulfills the following EALRs:
- Arts: 1.1, 1.2, 1.4; 2.1, 2.3; 4.1, 4.2, 4.4
- Communication: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
- Social Studies: History: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3